Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Birthday and Julia Child

He's Two you know. Here is Owen's response to the crowd singing Happy Birthday to him on his big day. He blushed, hid his head on his Momma and smiled at all of us. It was a big time!
Of course, after singing, cake must be eaten. The cupcake you see was one of four that spelled out OWEN as smoke for the train cake. It was adorable. Owen is eating the one with an O on it. His friend Nolan got the N.

Steve bought me the movie Julie and Julia. I could tell that I would love it. I was right. It really spurred me on to cook, however. I took today off (I worked the weekend) and went out early to find the cookbook. Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Oh, man. Only one on the shelf and the lady at the Book Rack told me she can't keep them on the shelf. I checked the recipe for Boef Borgignon (totally spelled wrong!) and went shopping. I got started at about 12:20 and we ate at 5:30. I sat down during that space of time for about 30 minutes. It was time-consuming, but only because I hadn't done it before. Next time will be a breeze. It was delicious! Steve and I packed lunches for tomorrow and we're already sad that it's nearly all gone. Nothing like a dish that has 3 CUPS of red wine in it. Yumm!



Close up of my masterpiece. It was really a fun day.
Candy


7 comments:

Susan said...

Candy fed me this, and I swear to God, I moaned! It was the best thing I've ever wrapped my lips around. Candy, I want it for my birthday dinner. Everybody's invited!

Jody Leming said...

So very jealous - never would have the courage to try her cookbook. The kids gave me the dvd for Christmas and I LOVED it. The dish looked deelish (as Lala would say). And Owen - so precious (as usual). You can just see the joy on your face looking at him.

Unknown said...

Looks like all involved had a blast. Mom was right, Candy...I'm going to have to do this too. LOL!

Celeste said...

What to say first, awwww, he's so cute or yummm, that looks/sounds so delicious!!! I love the birthday pics of Owen, Candy - he is getting cuter all the time. You are so brave to try to the Julia Child dish - I still haven't watched my dvd, but man, oh, man - that beef whatever looks sooooo good!

Suzy said...

Wow! I'm so impressed, Candy! I do good to cook a plain old pot roast on occasion. I would never try anything from Julia's book. Loved the movie, though!
Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all!
I miss you all - we need to get together again soon - not a big reunion, just some of us cousins so we can visit.

Love you! Suzy

Candy said...

My house is open. Come on! Or we can meet at your house in Graham.
Candy

Jody Leming said...

HEY, COME TO JODY'S AND TAKE YOUR PICK OF BOOKS AND HELP HER CLEAN OUT PAT'S STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL COUSINS AND KIDS CAN HAVE THEIR PICK OF HER LIBRARY. JUST SET A DATE!!!!!!!