Wednesday, January 6, 2010

THE NEW GHS

Hey Graham Grad Cousins!!! I went with Suzy & Boyd to the open house of the new GHS. WOW, it is something else. All the building was gutted but they kept the stately facade that faces Virginia St. It' s huge!! The new cafeteria is where the old auditorium (or study hall to my group) was. It is lovely and the kitchen has so much equipment. The tables in the dining room are round. The new auditorium is facing on the Calaveras St side and has the arch facade like the front of the building. It is so grand and I'm sorry the Eden never got a chance to act on that huge stage. The new gym is on the Calaveras side but faces Kentucky St. It is very nice and Suzy says it looks like some college gyms. Lots of seating, especially for the home team. We looked into some of the classrooms and they were nice and large. Now let me tell you about the Library. It is 2 stories high with lots & lots of windows - you can be upstairs in the hall and look into it. It takes your breath away. At the door of the library are portraits of Mrs. Howell and Mrs. Jones. They have tables with chairs but also nice easy chairs for relaxed reading and also 10 computers with desks. We saw so many people we knew - old classmates, old teachers, etc. Oh, at the front of the auditorium there are two portraits, one of Jack Cody and the other of Alawana Vaughan. We had a great time. Whenever you come to Graham, come by and see it. It's worth the trip.

4 comments:

Candy said...

WOW! That sounds wonderful. I remember walking through the old school during one of our reunions. I'd love to see the new one.
Candy

Celeste said...

Your description sounds great, JoAnn. I can't wait to see it. I'm glad they have chosen portraits of Mrs. Howell and Mrs. Jones to honor them. Mother used to tell me stories of how well she and Mrs. Howell got along when she went there, once upon a time. Mrs. Howell didn't take too kindly to the jingle bells Mother wore one day, though - I still smile when I imagine that.

Susan said...

Do they have a picture of their star student - Dan Cusenbary, Jr.? haha
I'd love to see it, Jody. Thanks for the great description.

Susan

Celeste said...

Susan, I think they should! Bet he was the most handsome boy in his class. And of course, he would tell us, too. Only my Uncle Dan could get by with that. What a treasure.