One of my favorite photos of Dad in the Army could not be located for this post: Dad is holding a bazooka and wearing a helmet. Bill and I always liked that pic!
While we were living in Fort Worth, and I was maybe five or six years old, my parents hosted a neighborhood Halloween party at our house. Some neighborhood teenagers turned Bill Dan's room into the "Ghost House," complete with a dummy of the devil lying on the bed; my room was the fortune teller's place, and a girl was dressed as a gypsy to tell your fortune. While a neighbor boy and I were in the Ghost House, and about to "feel the devil's brains" (aka jello), we heard a scratching at the window. Well, this kid and I could not get out of there fast enough! We about ran into Dad, who it turns out, was outside rigging a paperclip to the screen to "enhance the Ghost House experience"! That was 5o years ago, and I'm still tainted!
I remember going to Texas Tech games from childhood to adulthood; I was with Dad at the SMU-Tech game (in the 80's) that Tech (we thought) had won from top-ranked SMU. SMU took a punt or kickoff from us; Dad was sitting down putting his binoculars away and blessedly missed the return for a SMU TD and victory. Later at supper he could only say, "Stick a fork in me; I'm done."
Happy Birthday, Dad! We love you mostest!! Diane, Don, Paul, Maddie, & Callie (arf, arf)



6 comments:
Happy, Happy Birthday Uncle John!!! I'm so sorry I let it sneak up on me and didn't get you a card in the mail, but I hope you will have a beautiful day. Thank you, Diane, for sharing the photos and writing the great tribute to your Dad!! Oh, and I agree, I'd still be scarred from that Halloween party - lol!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories, Diane! The haunted house sounds really fun. I remember when your dad made us a Mexican dinner when we were visiting you in Lubbock. The rest of that week, he was known as Uncle Juan.
Mom's birthday sometimes fell on Thanksgiving Day. We were all very thankful that she cooked for us that day. Hope your dad won't work too hard today.
Happy birthday, Uncle Juan!
Happy Birthday, Uncle John!!! Keri & I enjoyed talking with you on the phone earlier (even if our redition of "Happy B/day" was off-key). I have so many memories (someday I may remember them all - lol) You taught me to play chess - which I immediatley forgot!! You & Bula put together a dollhouse for me, being Santa's helpers. I love you so much - we are all so glad Bula had the good sense to marry you!!
Thanks for sharing this with us, Di. We love John and Estelle! And you, too. Happy Birthday, John!!!!
Juan,
Sorry I missed your birthday ON your birthday, but I was busy gambling my children's inheritance. Thanks to a nifty $2 machine, all is safe.
Hope your day was spectacular.
Thanks for the great post, Diane.
Love,
Candy
Happy Belated Birthday, John! I loved those pictures that Diane posted. Hope your day was fun!
Post a Comment