
Happy Birthday, Collie/Zorro/Colliewobbles!
September is a special month in our family -- it's sweet and bittersweet.
Collie, Pat, and Dan all had birthdays in September,
and Aunt Sue went home in September.
I remember writing on the chalkboard in Granny's kitchen; when I would return many weeks later, my message would have a large "Z" chalked over it! Zorro had been there!!
Mom has told me countless stories about growing up with Collie; she idolizes him to this day! Surely my brother's love of critters and pets proves the genetic link with Collie!

It's difficult to picture our "be sweet like me" Uncle Dan
as a Marine Drill Sergeant!
To me, he was the sweetest uncle.
During one of the many fun-filled times I spent the night at Candy's and Susan's, I got homesick and started crying at bedtime. Uncle Dan rocked me until I was calmer, and Aunt Sue let Susan put a record on the record player in her room so we could listen while we went to sleep. (Susan told me later that Aunt Sue NEVER let them play music during bedtime!! You're welcome, Susan, for that nighttime musical interlude!)

Aunt Pat was such fun!
Once when I was visiting, she and Keri and I played board games and card games.
We rolled up pieces of paper, and stuck them in our mouths like we were smoking cigars!
Aunt Pat wore a visor, and looked like a Las Vegas card dealer.
Two favorite stories about Aunt Pat came to me via Mom; when Mom was growing up, Aunt Pat was driving and bought Mom a double-dipped ice cream cone. She asked Mom is she could have a bite, and Mom agreed. Then Aunt Pat promptly leaned over and took the entire top scoop!
When Mom was in high school, and Granddaddy thought she was wearing too much lipstick, he would get Aunt Pat to try to straighten Mom out. Once Aunt Pat told Mom, "I wish you'd straighten up so Daddy won't keep making me talk to you!"

I love to tell people the love story of my mom's
best friend and big brother! What a match!!
During another wonderful visit to Wichita Falls (Bill and I and Candy and Susan spent time each summer at each other's homes; WONDERFUL SUMMERS!), Aunt Sue and Uncle Dan took the four kids to Funland Amusement Park. I LOVED (past tense) the Tilt-A-Whirl, and proceeded to ride it six -- count 'em -- six times in a row! After the sixth ride, I staggered off the ride and promptly threw up. Aunt Sue, totally nonplussed, said, "Well, I guess five times is her limit."
Thanks for letting me share! And special thanks to Don and Paul for getting the pics uploaded!
Love, Di
15 comments:
Happy birthday, Uncle Collie! I hope your day is wonderful.
Diane, thanks for the wonderful post. My Daddy looks like a baby. Also, I TOTALLY remember you throwing up at Funland. Bwah-ha-ha. Thanks for the men in your life who understand computers.
Love you,
Candy
We're aiming for a September 13th arrival date for Isla so that she can share with her Great Granddaddy. Now if I can just get her to play along.
Rachel
Hey Di,
Thanks for posting the pictures - they made me cry!
I also recall the tilt-a-whirl debacle. When I realized what you were about to do, I made a bee line down the steps and was last seen hiding behind the helicopters.
Happy birthday, Uncle Collie! I love you lots!
Susan
Well,you made me tear-up too, Di!!! What a wonderful tribute to our loved ones. Lord, I miss them so!!! Happy Birthday, Collie, hope you got my card and letter in time. I'm so glad I'm with family this year instead of being alone. I love all you cousins for being "my cousins". We are so darn lucky, you know!!!
We are lucky for sure. What a wonderful family to be born into. I so remember Dan and Sue's wedding - the first one I ever went to, as I was very small, but I remember how handsome he was and how beautiful she was. Good times!
And Happy Birthday, Collie!!! You're one in 10 million!
Love, Suzy
Have to share. Susan and I were talking on the phone about Diane and the tilt-a-whirl incident. Susan giggled when she was talking about running far away and I said, "I bet you were by the helicopters." She said, "That's EXACTLY what I said." Then we laughed so hard that I got sent home from work for having fun on State Time.
Additionally, neither Susan nor I remember anyone else being there except ourselves, Diane and Mom. I don't remember Susan, Bill or Daddy. Susan doesn't remember Bill, Daddy or me. What little egoists we were (are?).
Candy
But we BOTH remember Diane!
Susan
Diane, this is indeed a beautiful tribute and I thank you sincerely for posting it here. Yep, made me cry. Thanks also to Don and Paul for getting the pictures up - they are wonderful. Aren't we lucky to be descendants of such beautiful people? Luck just doesn't cover it. Wow.
Talked with Daddy this afternoon to sing Happy Birthday to him! He was pleased with a visit from Buster already and looking forward to another get together later this evening. Wished I could be there to share in the cake and or ice cream! Seems like something we all have in common.
The events at Funland bring back some memories of that place for me, too. I don't remember going there as a kid, but I do recall Daddy taking my kids and Wade's kids a couple of times at least. If I'm not mistaken, at one time I think we had to stop one of the rides to get Marisa off because she was freaking out and scared, but she or Wade could probably fill in more on that one. But gosh, that was a fun place! Haven't thought about it in years.
Trips down memory lane are so wonderful when shared. Thank you all.
Love!
It seems that, in my initial haste to comment on this blog (whilst sobbing), that I forgot to mention someone's birthday:
Happy Birthday, Uncle Collie! Lots of love coming your way!
Rachel
Oh, and Funland was awesome! The tilt-a-whirl was also my favorite. :)
Di, I remember the time you cried because you were homesick. I got out of bed to see what was going on. Not only was Daddy rocking you in the living room, but he was ... (gasp) letting you SUCK YOUR THUMB! Just about the time I was getting indignant because he never let ME suck MY thumb, Mom, who was reading in bed, called down the hall, "Susan why don't you put one of your records on for y'all to listen to?" I thought 'yeah, baby!' and ran to pick out something. Turned out to be a nice evening after all! Thanks for the memories!
Isla,
It is officially September 13th. You may now commence to being born.
Love you already,
Aunt Susan
Ilsa, mind your Aunt Susan!!!
Jody,
Spell her name right or you don't get to hold her. It's ISLA, pronounced EYE-la.
Love you,
Candy
Isla Grace...COME ON DOWN!!!
Mimi
okay,okay, I stand corrected!!! ISLA lol Sorry about that. But I don't think I'm gonna get to hold her anyway!!! We do want pics tho'!!!
Post a Comment