Special Days, Part IIJody beat me to the punch! I had already selected these pics from the treasures that Jody gave to me before her big move, but alas, I needed both of my guys' assistance in order to post them! (Paul is always saying, "What would you do without me to help you with your technology problems?" My answer is, "Why do you think we had you?").
I remember Lala doing her song and dance while she fixed herself a salad for Friday night supper (this was in the house on 4th Street while she was still working): "It's Friday! It's Friday!" And on Saturdays while I visited we would listen to records and go through books, and she would review the Sunday school lesson she was to teach to her class of young girls the next morning.
When Granny wasn't creating her culinary masterpieces in the kitchen (and let's agree, anything she cooked was a mouth-watering masterpiece; can you say, "homemade fried chicken"?), she was sitting in her rocking chair in the living room, working a crossword puzzle while she watched baseball or football or golf. She used to tell me that she liked to watch golf because she could doze off and when she awakened, she felt that she hadn't missed very much!
They were two very wonderful ladies, and I am so blessed to be a part of their family.
3 comments:
Oh, Dianne, thank you for posting those wonderful photos! We are all so blessed to be sharing a part of the genetic makeup of these wonderful ladies. Of course, I completely agree with all you said about the culinary talents - oh, my yes! I never could understand why MamaCush said that golf was her favorite sport to watch, but now you've explained it clearly! LOL! She always had a reason. Gosh, how I love her still. And Lala, and Estelle and Aunt Pat and Uncle Dan and Daddy and all of you. We are blessed.
Love this, Di!!!! When you talk of Granny's cooking, I remember one time, one of Granny's farmer friends (and she had many) brought her something she had never seen before -- parsnips -- and she asked how to fix them and he said "oh, they're like potatoes - fix'em like you would potatoes". Well, she made them mashed and let me tell you they did not taste like mashed taters. Made her so mad she threw them away, muttering under her breath, " never do that again!!" I guess that was probably the only cooking failure she had that I knew about!
Yes they were. We were so blessed to have them in our lives. I miss them, and Pat, and Dan and Sue and all of them. Mom and mother, too. We've lost the rocks of our foundation, but we had a good foundation to build on and that's what's important. Great family we're from! Suzy
Post a Comment