Friday, May 6, 2011

A "MOTHERS'S DAY" CHORE FOR COUSINS

HI THERE MY WONDERFUL COUSINS ---- Whether you called them Moma, Aunt Margaret, Aunt Eunice, Aunt Velma, Punk, Estelle, Bula, Catherine, Lala, Pat, Nana, Aunt Pat, Sue, Auntie, Aunt Ella, Granny, Cushen, Moma Cush, Hazel, Aunt Hazel -- I would like to issue a challenge! I would love (and I know all of you would) love to hear of any special stories you have of the wonderful ladies of our family. They are so much of what we have become. I will start off---------Once I got between Granny and Auntie!! I use to take Sunday dinner over to Auntie that Granny sent her. Granny told me "You tell Sis that she should come over here and eat with us." So that's what I did. Auntie told me - "Tell Fay I'll come when I want to." Well, that blew my mind -- I had never even heard them say a cross word about each other. Anyway, they were true sisters!! I know to you younger cousins that seems dumb but it just stunned me!!!------Now it's your turn!! Have fun with it --make us laugh or cry or both!! I hope all of you ladies have a great Mother's Day -- mine will be because I am with my kids and that's what Moma would have wanted. I love you all!!! Jody - the Elder!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a couple:

I used to spend every Saturday night at my Nana's house. We'd watch The Love Boat, Fantasy Island and eat Tony's frozen pizza and have treats. Most of the time, we'd play Uno or some other game and then we'd go to bed and before she got me my own bed at her house, we'd lay in her bed and watch the Drive In movie across the street. I had THE BEST NANA EVER!
I always stayed at Granny's when I was sick with something. Mom took me over there one day when I ran a fever and felt rather icky. Granny took one look at me and said CHICKEN POX. Well, I got the royal Granny treatment after that and was spoiled totally rotten for two weeks. Granny was one of a kind-one of the best kind, for sure!

Suzy said...

Some of my favorite memories when I was growing up during the times we were in Graham, was at the Driver Hotel with Mom. She taught me to make beds there, and we would eat hamburgers from Heightens on the square, on the Confederate Monument, and go to Standpipe Mountain. she used to let me and Jimmy or one of my friends play on the switchboard from her apartment to the switchboard in the lobby. It was the best time and a great place to grow up. I miss Mom and mother so much, even now. I'm so thankful to know that I will see them again someday and we will be together forever.

Celeste said...

That is a really tall order, JoAnn, and I don't know that I can come up with only one memory to share because my heart is so crowded with beautiful memories of moments with each one of these special, wonderful ladies you have mentioned. We are so blessed to be a part of this family, no matter where we fit in. On the subject of Mothers' Day, I will note that I always thought it was something very, very special that for many, many years - right up until she was way older, my sweet MamaCush always used to send my own sweet mother a Mothers' Day card. It was something that Mother always cherished and I now hold that memory dear also.

And Suzy, that is just so cool getting to play on the switchboard - I love it! I always loved going to the Driver.

Jody Leming said...

That sounds just like Granny!!! I didn't know that & I think that was wonderful. Mary was a very special aunt to me and I loved her. Lord, we all knew those wonderful ladies - isn't that great!!!!!