

No, it's not about a psychedelic flashback, but it did include some rock and roll - lol! Last month some old friends of ours let us know that the citizens of Mineral Wells along with Friends of the Museum, and others I'm sure I'm missing, held a dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the restoration of the Fort Wolters gate at the entrance to Wolters Industrial Park. Having done his primary helicopter training at Fort Wolters and later worked there as an Instructor Pilot (when I met him), Chuck has been through that old gate many, many times. We decided to attend the ceremony as a family so all the kids, except for Lance, were able to be there as well. Chuck and I were at first surprised at how old all these old pilot type guys looked - ha! Could it be that all of us have aged after forty years? Amazingly, there actually were a couple of guys who apparently could still fit into their old flight suits. It was a fun event and there was quite a large turnout and it provided a fun opportunity for Chuck to share some of his past with his children. The people of Mineral Wells have been wonderful to the veterans of that era. And yes, cousins, there was cake!! No ice cream, but there were delicious cookies, so that counts for a lot in my book.
2 comments:
Cake always counts! Love the picture!
Susan
Boyd's dad worked over there on helicopters in the late 60's, early 70's.
Post a Comment