Monday, January 24, 2011
COUSINS - 1st, once-removed, 2nd, etc.
Allrighty -- On FB I was trying to explain to a gal originally from Graham what my connections were with Martha Ann, Suzy, and Buster (the Cusenbary one, not the Boda one!!) I was telling Bula about it so she sent me this family relation chart - well, would you believe (of course you would) than now I'm more confused than ever!!! I knew that Marquerite, Dorothy Dan, Jean, Kay, Martha were 1st cousins-once removed. But their kids (Linda Gay, Suzy, Deb, Leslie Allen) are my second cousins (why aren't they my 1st cousins????) Now, their kids are my 2nd cousins-once removed!! AND THEIR KIDS ARE 2nd cousins TWICE REMOVED!!!---- This is just more than this old brain can comprehend!!! BUT Dowdle kids, Uncle Dan's & Uncle Collie's kids are my 1st cousins. And Keri's 1st once removed and her kids are 1st cousins twice removed. ARE YOU CONFUSED NOW TOO!!! HA!!! Love all you whatever cousins you are!!! Jody the Elder
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I understand the 'removed' part of the relatives. Not sure who explained it to me (probably Lala or Mama), but it makes a little picture in my head that looks like a family tree...and it's clear from there.
Love,
Candy, the not confused
Mom explained it all to me. Jody's children (aka Keri) and Candy's children (Rachel) are 2nd cousins. THEIR children will be 3rd cousins, etc. So the farther you go down the line, the more distant the cousins are.
The "removed" part comes in when you cross generations, i.e. Jody with Candy's children. Hang on, I didn't mean that Jody would breed with Candy's children. That's called Arkansas. But their relationship would be first cousins once removed. Jody and Candy's grandchildren (Owen) are first cousins twice removed.
Maybe we should all just move to Arkansas where they don't care.
Susan, you crack me up!!!
No, we have too many teeth to live in Arkansas.
C
LOL! Susan, you crack me up, too, but I'm not moving to Arkansas. I love to visit there, but nope, don't want to move. I *think* that I get all this removing cousins stuff, but all in all, does it really matter? We are all related in one way or another, we come from some beautiful ancestors on all sides and we all love and care about one another. What more could you ask?
You are so right. It's just that Kay always was "angry" that she and I weren't 1st and yet you all were. But now I see it's not so much which generation it's the 'core' family that makes it 1st cousins. brothers & sisters. Keri will never have 1st cousins because she is an only child. But, boy, she's got other cousins out the wazoo and that's all that matters. I love all my cousins and I know they love me. 'Nuf said!! lol
Pat Gracy explained it to me.
Children of siblings are first cousins to each other. Their children are 2nd cousins to each other. Etc. The once removed is where a child from a previous generation, say, Joann, is cousins with a later generation, say, Phil. Joann and I are 2nd cousins, so Joann and Phil are 2nd cousins once removed. Isn't that right, Suszn?
Post a Comment